Many people find themselves caught off balance as the globe begins to shake faster and faster. But the answer is not to hunker down and erect defensive barriers—it is to take action. Our world needs leaders capable of collaborating with other cultures and taking prudent risks to create a new range of opportunities. Action requires courage and resilience when obstacles arise.
The challenge of courageous decision-making can be better understood once we understand how the following six considerations help Western business leaders to adapt to the economic and political environment that is shaping the future:
- Nonwestern cultural norms
- Technological and other skills of Generation Y
- Women as a labor resource
- Continue the expanding role of shareholder interests
- The changes to capitalism in creating entrepreneurs and
- Convergence of values stemming from the growth of democracy.
In preparation for 2020, Blythe McGarvie continued to work with boards of directors. Some of her recent pursuits to stay relevant and to communicate the idea of resilience, preparedness and digital transformation are :
- Earned CERT Certificate in Cybersecurity Oversight from Carnegie Mellon
- Participated in NACD Joint Advisory Council Meeting with Chairs from Audit and Compensation committees in D.C.
- Key speeches and round table discussions